I think many of us don’t understand exactly what it is you’re saying. You seem to be against “preparation”, but it’s not entirely clear what you mean by that. I understand that you don’t seem to like high-tech equipment.<br><br>Do you go into the jungle without a knife? I doubt it. Isn’t that preparation?<br><br>Do you go into the jungle without a way to make fire? Perhaps- but it gets much, much colder in our wilderness areas.<br><br>Perhaps you do not carry a compass, and perhaps you do not need one in your jungle. There are many pilots on this forum, though, that might find themselves thousands of miles from familiar ground- or at sea. If you have never been in a dense fog on the water, knowing you were near land but having no way to tell in which direction, perhaps you wouldn’t appreciate a compass as much.<br><br>In much of North America it can be difficult to find surface water- even in thick woods. You need to have some way to carry water if you want to drink. There is no bamboo in our forests to make water containers from. There are many fewer plants that make cordage without long preparation. Food is not so plentiful in our forests as it is in a jungle- and much less so in the mountains, on the prairies or in the deserts.<br><br>Most of the kits we talk about here are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. If you really feel that that’s too much preparation, please tell us what you’d take in our wilderness. <br>