I'm just writing this to again emphasize first aid learning. I have been trained in both "first responder" and a higher level of first responder, "Combat Lifesaver." I have used my CLS skills more in the civilian world with kids then I have in the military. The basics of basics first aid can be taught by your local Red Cross for fairly cheap and with only a little time. It teaches mostly CPR and some very basic first aid. If you want really decent First aid training, you might want to think about taking the First Aid course at your local Community Collage if you have one near by. That route is a little more expensive, but gives much, much more in depth training. Where the Red Cross course tells you a little bit about how to do everything, the CC course teaches why the body does the things it does, and how to best react. It also gives more practice, which considering the brain reacts almost strictly to training in a high stress situation, is a lifesaver (pun intended). <br><br>Once you have this wonderful training, I would suggest hitting up your local "medical supply" retailer. Eugene where I life has a bunch. They sell all the little things in 1sies and 2sies, and have a much better selection than your average major pharmacy. Also, you can find the gear cheaper, and the employees often have the training to give you advice on what your looking for. Then design a pack/or case that is easy to grab, and easy to organize. The idea being that somebodies life may be riding on you getting your gear and employing it as quickly as possible. The stuff you stock in your case should be the things you are completely trained to use. Oral airways, blood pressure cuffs and the like are of no value to you if you don't know how to use/employ them properly. I have used my kit so many times, that I have absolutely no regrets about the money or time that I have devoted to my kit.<br><br>My kit is a large EMT style tackle box that I picked up on sale (thank God, it would have been real expensive otherwise), and I have everything that I am trained to use inside except for IV and oral airways. I have a selection of bandages starting real small and going to the abdominal sized pads. I have some high speed "tape" which is self sticking but in fact not gluey that is bright orange, perfect for making pressure dressings and bright enough to attract the attention of EMTs when they arrive, if your so lucky. I also carry Sterile water. In the event of a major burn, the only thing you should apply is sterile water. Pouring unsterile water on a burn can in fact do more damage due to the risk of infection. Sterile water being a little more expensive than plain old bottled water, has more uses, which negates the added cost. It is also just as drinkable which is nice. Don't bother getting special burn ointments because if the burn is bad enough, and the casualty needs to go to the hospital the "Pro's" will just scrape it off, which would hurt like H.E.double hockey sticks. They also sell instant ice packs which I have used more than once out of my kit.<br><br>I would also invest in a SAM splint. Too many uses, negligable space. You can cut it into strips to make finger splints (ask me to tell you the story of a kid who had a broken finger some time, he just wouldn't hold still). <br><br>Also in my kit I have a pair of good EMT shears a good flashlight with a spair set of batteries, a couple of red lightsticks, a white lightstick, a couple of "emergency blankets" (shock), a "instruction manual w/ the information regarding the stuff easily forgotten (poisoning and what not), coins for a pay phone. <br><br>My kit is kept stable in my trunk in a special place reserved specifically for it. I keep it there because I will more than likely have my car near by when I need it. All my friends and relatives who normally travel with me, have been briefed on where it is and how to best get at it, just in case I need to rush in to "get a handle on a situation." That way I can get moving and see what's going on while my kit comes to me. <br><br>Anyway, I'm going to get off this little tangent now. Have a good one.<br><br><br><br>