From a recent post by jet on another thread...<br>"... Survival starts with preparing for the expected. On this forum, over and over again, people will ask other people, "What kinds of situations are you expecting to have to survive? What types of conditions are you likely to encounter?"<br><br>If you are preparing to go for a three day hike during the summer in an area that is currently seeing 30 days over 100F in a row and counting, you begin by preparing for the expected... heat..."<br><br>This got me thinking about where I put my effort in survival skills training. I see many threads here extolling the virtue of learning basic camp-craft from shelter building to fire-making and have learned much. I am not a pilot so the most likely wilderness adventures that I will encounter will either be places I walked into or very rural auto failures of some form or another. In either case I don't expect (short of teotwawki) to encounter a long enough departure from civilization to run through more than a couple of match books and certainly not long enough to drain a bic lighter. Nonetheless I have spent about an hour and a half each saturday morning for more than a month making tea in my driveway in order to learn various methods of setting and starting a fire with various ever-more primitive methods.<br><br>Anyway, to the question; I consider the more expected situations of an auto wrek or loss of utilities due to fire or storm much more likely than any of the others so, as a father of two young children who often accompany me into the wilderness and a husband of a lovely woman who relies upon me for protection and production, I have taken up the Basic EMT class and technician HAM (amateur radio) course and lisence. How many others on this forum consider this type of training as survival oriented as basic fire-making and what is the experience with the utility of such training? ( I am new to both fields and haven't yet passed the EMT Basic lisence - no I am not chainging careers I like being an egineer)