Quote:
1. You spray OC indoors and youre attacking yourself as well. I worked security in a bar in college and one night when someone sprayed mace/teargas/pepper spray it cleared the place out. This was a big bar and several people required medical treatment. Unless youre a trained profession with the appropriate equipment I would not spray OC indoors! Furthermore be VERY aware of the wind before spraying outdoors.

In addition to different spray patterns (stream & cone), they make foam OC for indoor use. You can also get Sudecon decontaminate wipes.

However, AFAIK, the foam is harder to use and you need to get it into the attacker's eyes/nose/mouth which might be a bit trickier than it sounds.

However, the thing you need to consider with OC, is after you have sprayed the guy, what then? You only have given yourself a temporary edge. You still have a (potentially) huge guy with a (possibly) knife/gun in your house, and now he's probably really POed. Typically the answer is "run away really fast", but that works a lot better for joggers, not for someone in their house with the inherent barriers to escape in addition to the need to protect your family.

-john

FWIW, I've heard good things about the Fox Labs OC spray. They offer cone, stream and foam in various sizes.

Edited by JohnN (11/19/04 04:50 AM)