Quote:
I was thinking about the Nuwai when you mentioned it, but I tihnk it really pushes the limit on how small I want my flashlight. While I haven't tried it out (heck, have I tried anything out?), I'm not sure I want something that compact. I can deal with a MM-size light.

Ok. I have yet to hear a Q-III owner complain about it's being too small- hard to see the downside of that- but whatever you're comfortable with.

Quote:
Just wondering -- would you Surefire owners say that their line is more waterproof than that of a comparable MagLite? Just wondering.

I don't really know, but I'd guess they're comparable. The both use similar systems of tubes twisting over o-ring seals (actually, the stock L4 doesn't twist), and they both seem to compress the o-rings to a similar degree. I haven't worried too much about that.. beyond rain or an accidental dunking I don't anticipate it being a factor. Not planning on swimming long distances or diving with one.

By contrast, I bought one of the new Chinese 2AA 3W Luxeon lights coming out now:

and while it's built like a tank (reminds me of Russian engineering), it has no o-rings or seals at all. The fit of parts is tight enough that it would take more than getting rained on to bother it, I think, but obviously it's going to leak under any pressure or serious immersion.

Not a bad light for $39- very bright, pretty tight Lux 3 level beam, excellent tint, good switch with a real momentary, and feels bombproof- but too big for pocket carry (some edges are way too sharp anyway), and obviously not very waterproof. This one is currently hanging beside the back door for quick access to investigate goings-on in the yard at night.