I don't seriously have a grudge against Maglites. For quite awhile there, they were the sturdiest available, and practically the only sturdy flashlights available.

I had a 6D that I kept mostly for caveman-club value in a campground that got a little rowdy from time to time, where "weapons" were strictly prohibited. It's actual value as a club was doubtful, as it weighed a ton, but it looked impressive. After not being used for some time I found the alkalines had leaked and fused permanently into the tube. Somehow I was never tempted to replace it with another.

One Mini bought it in similar fashion, but I still have one old Mini and some solitaires around- until the next flea market, anyway.

I have never seen the A2 in person, so the nearest I can compare it with is the Streamlight TT 2L. Doug P's charts show that both it AND the Minimag out-throw the L4. Well, maybe.

Comparisons are difficult. To the eye, the L4 is very white, and makes the others look yellow and dim, almost amber. I'm sure the human eye/brain has tint biases, probably pretty complex ones, and I'm not at all sure a light meter is capable of replicating all that. It is certainly true that the dark night outside seems to "swallow" the LED light more over distance, but even that's hard to judge subjectively, since the LEDs are lighting up your immediate surroundings more, it makes the distance seem darker.

Whatever- I've played with a bunch of these lights under various conditions, and came away more than satisfied with the L4 for my use (especially with the 2-stage switch). No doubt as we get into the 4th and 5th generation of white LEDs, less compromise will be required, but for typical urban/suburban use (as opposed to out in the country), it seems to be a good compromise for now. The Q-III has a similar in beam, but not as powerful, less spill, and a smaller hot spot. They seem a good team, the tiny Q-III riding on my belt as a backup to the L4 in the pack.

Anyone who followed the thread on candlepower knows that the original motivation for all was the desire for a good emergency light for two long daily rides in dark underground tunnels of the Washinton DC Metro, not the safest place in either history or future prospects.

For that use, at least, the reliability of the LED certainly outweighs long-distance throw. I came away from the search with more and better than I expected, and shortly intend to retire the entire issue until technology comes up with something notably more interesting.