Quote:
Im very interested in what makes a Surefire worth its price. As I have no experience with the brand.

Well, that's a value judgement I can't make for anyone else, of course.

In researching for my own needs I bought a number of flashlights. I ended up wtih an Inova, an Infinity (now Gerber), a Streamlight, an Underwater Kinetics (UK), and I previously had several MagLite versions, Tektites, and a Pelican Stealthlite (my past favorite).

Based on what I had read on the candlepower forums, broke down and bought the Surefire L4. At the time I thought I was being very foolish to get caught up in the enthusiasm, but then I don't tend to skimp on things I think I might really depend on. That's a matter of outlook.

When it arrived, I was just flat-out amazed. Even though I had done a fair amount of research, my first impression was that it was MUCH smaller and lighter than I expected. It also has the distinct feel of precise machining in a tiny jewel-like object. Then I turned it on...

The beam is the brightest flashlight I've ever used, by far, and outshines any of the others very easily- most, shone on the same surface next to the beam from the L4, simply become invisible. It is not only blinding to look into the beam, it is quite painful. It's white, very even, almost free of artifacts- that is, there's a "hot spot" in the center, and a "corona" or "spill" around that, but almost no uneveness, and no shadows.

So, is it worth the very high price? That's hard to say, but it is certainly true that it makes every other flashlight I own or have used seem some combination of bulky, heavy, clunky, fragile, or dim.

If I lost the Surefire, I would buy another. I'm not sure that's true of any of the others.

Second choice would clearly be the Streamlight, but, even though the specs look comparable, it subjectively feels about a third larger and twice the weight, is much less pocketable, it rattles, the switch is a bit awkward, and it's generally is much less confidence-inspiring.

That having been said, please see my remarks about the Nuwai QIII in the "Rail Crash" thread.

Quote:
Also on the news the other night they showed a US soldier with, I think, a surefire strapped underneath his rifle. Are they on current issue with the military? And isnt it also used in the recent fim "SWAT"?

I understand that they are issued to some elite troops, although apparently the company makes a number of products for the military and police that might not be marked, so it's not always obviouis.

I haven't seen the film, but they have become quite popular lately, and show up in a lot of movies... not the least, because the beams are actually visible against the background lights used in Hollywood even for night filiming.