Hi, Willie!

I carry mine in the tin. I use a nice round tin that 177 pellets came in - which required the addition of a pinhole. I layer all the cloth flat before charring and just peel off a piece from the top of the stack when I need one. I suppose I should drop the tin into a ziplock, but it's been fine in a zippered pouch kept inside whichever pack I'm using. Altoids tins work great as-is - the hinge holes are quite sufficient to vent off the gasses. Need a good hot fire the first time to burn the paint off Altoids and other painted tins, and then a quick dry scrub after cooling with a green scrubbie (3M pad) to remove the loose paint ash residue.

I suggest practice with a bird's nest made by untwisting sisal/jute/manila 3/8" line - down to individual fibers. A piece about 6" - 8" long is handy until you get the hang of it. Make the nest, put char cloth in the nest, spark, fold, blow like crazy (I hold above my head and blow on it from below - I miss most of the smoke that way). Bursts into flame like magic, but it may require some practice until you get the hang of it. Scouts are VERY impressed with themselves when they learn that. Then teach them how to use in situ natural materials - usually takes more prep. Don't let them decide they must carry hunks of rope - I always start off by chanting "imagine this is dried grass... imagine this is dried grass... imagine this is dried grass..." I consider cotton balls phase I, char and rope phase II, char and natural tinder phase III... etc. - at least, with the Scouts. Char works great with flint and steel, btw.

Have fun with this and practice a lot before you show the scouts.

Regards,

Tom