"I saw a movie where an aeroplane crash results of a person(young girl) being stranded in the amazon jungle."

That wasn't just a movie, it was based on the real thing. I believe 5 people survived the crash (scattered around -- she never saw any of them), but this 17-yr-old girl is the only one who survived.

She had no knife, she was dressed for her confirmation in a white dress & white shoes. Her mother died in the crash. I faintly remember that she found some cigarettes and a squashed birthday cake, both of which she took with her. She ate the cake, & used the tobacco as insect repellent.

Her father was a scientist who worked in the jungle, & he told her if she ever got lost & there was any kind of a stream nearby, to follow it downhill*, which she did. After about 2 wks of hiking, she came across a hunter/woodcutter's cabin & went inside to rest. The occupants returned & took her by boat to the local mission. She also had an injured knee & had insect larvae growing under her skin.

Why did she survive & the others didn't? Authorities said afterwards it was because she had a plan, and used her head. The other 4 people decided to wait to be rescued, despite the fact that they were under heavy jungle canopy, where they couldn't be seen from the air.

As has been said, it's what's in your head more than what you've got on your person.

But I'll bet she wished she had a knife.

*This advice worked for her, but the technique can also lead you right into a swamp. Luck has a lot to do with survival, too.

Sue