Tristan --<br><br> Good post!<br><br> While I also have a "serious" PSK in a BCB tin with most/all of the items I'd want if lost in the woods, I would have that with me only in an "off road" sort of environment.<br><br> Since 99% of my time is spent within an urban/suburban environment, I also wanted to Be Prepared for more likely scenarios in an everyday environment -- places where I couldn't reasonably expect to need survival fishing gear, etc. <br><br> Since I ALWAYS have my keychain on me, it made sense to use it in much the same way you do. In addition to keys, on it I have:<br><br>-- Swisstech tool (foldup pliers, wire stripper, regular & Phillips screwdriver)<br>-- CMG Infinity LED flashlight (I like the durability and 40 hours battery life, but might consider changing to an Arc Light AAA for smaller size/brighter illumination) It also hangs outside my pocket and keeps the keys, etc. from abrading pockets.<br> -Fox mini-40 whistle, cut down as per Doug's idea (you can do it with a sharp knife, smooth it with a nail file)<br> -Swiss Army "Executive" (small blade, file, tweezers, toothpick) Probably worth it just for the toothpick!<br><br> In an urban environment, I can illuminate it, cut it, or tighten it. Those are the true everyday necessities.<br><br> Then I found a Dr Scholl's blister treatment fourpack at the drug store. A couple of the blister pads went into larger first aid kits, but the container is a jewel. 3" X 3 1/4" square, 1/2" thick, durable blue plastic, and it's curved to fit your leg or butt for pocket carry. In it I have:<br>--Xacto knife blade protected with tape (backup sharp)<br>--button compass (even in an urban environment, have you ever asked yourself if you're going the right way on a new street?)<br>--mini first aid: <br> for wounds: (2) 1", (1) 3/4" Bandaids, Povidone-Iodine wipe.<br> mini-meds package: 4 ibuprofen, 2 Benadryl for beesting allergy, 2 Extra strength Tylenol. To save even more space, I took the pills out of their packaging and into truly tiny packaging made from plastic snack bags cut down to size and sealed with a "Euro-Sealer" bag sealer. The pills are clearly marked even sans packaging.<br>--mini sewing kit from a hotel, plus a few more safety pins & a needle threader for my elderly eyes<br>--14" of duct tape, folded onto non-stick label stock<br>--a mini lighter (may replace with a "metal match" bagged as above to retard evaporation of the lighter fluid. Will test and report.)<br>--a sparklite tinder<br>--a red Photon II for backup, map reading, etc.<br>--plastic Fresnel lens<br><br> The Dr Scholl's unit is obviously full; I seal it with a couple tabs of electrical tape at the front, and put a couple of rubber bands around it to keep it sealed (and use the rubber bands as needed.) <br><br> They keychain kit covers most urban daily needs; the pocket pack contents aren't needed everyday, but are nice to have when needed. Just having it in my pocket helps remind me of the virtues of planning ahead.<br><br> I've also upgraded a commercial first aid kit that lives in the trunk of my car, with a tilt towards wound management. Whether it's a road accident or a softball scrape, my car's not usually too far away.<br><br> BTW, for "off road" outings, I'd take the "full" BCB tin PSK, and I have a separate zipper bag (about the same size as the tobacco tin) for first aid materials, separated into wound management and medications. Both would be part of a day pack or overnight pack.<br><br> For travel, I have a separate travel keychain to take on planes, with all the usual stuff (whistle. Photon, Swisstool, plus a zipper pull compass/thermometer. It has a snap release for a separate ring that carries a Swiss Army "Rucksack" model (which I like) that rides in checked luggage. Also in checked luggage is a pretty comprehensive travel first aid kit I put together, using a lot of input from Doug Ritter's small kits, and starting with the Adventure Medical "Voyager" kit. A separate Zip , labelled "Carryon," has the sort of personal items/first aid you might need in an airport or plane: aspirin, Sudafed, skin lotion, earplugs, bandaids, a blister pad, wipes, lip balm, floss.<br><br>I always travel with a utility kit in a HD Ziploc containing a plastic coffee can lid (plate), knife-fork-spoon kit from Magellan's, a couple of extra HD Zips, garbage bags, corkscrew, duct tape, extra bandana and hand wipes. I find it handy for roadside picnics, street food, hotel snacks, etc.<br><br>Sounds like a lot of different stuff to keep track of, but I find it separates logically into <br>-what I always have in my daily pocket<br>-what I always have in my car trunk<br>-what I have in a carry on bag<br>-what I have in checked luggage<br>-what I take 'off road'<br><br>It's fun making up the kits and exercising the brain a bit; the first aid kits in their various forms make a lot of sense to me to have the right stuff there when you want it (and most items come "many to a box", so it's just a question of mix and match to make up different kits.) I don't see any logic in carrying a really major medical bag everywhere, nor do I want to raid my pocket carry or PSK and have to repack everything unless it's necessary.<br><br> Last but not leas, be awaret: the airlines don't tell you there's been a change, but ever since that moron tried to light his tennis shoe, they may take away your pocket lighter. I was singled out for a random check and they kept my nice new piezo-electric. Better plan on checking that nice new Windmill and carry matches instead. (Can you light a tennis shoe with matches, or does it take a lighter?)<br><br> It's a pleasure reading the posts here and exchanging ideas. Seems like the ol' Boy Scout motto lives on many of us . . .<br><br> -- Karl