I take no offense. Your viewpoints are helpful. I'm really just trying to put out there what I have experienced and then get the opinions of people like yourself to help understand why it may or may not be justified. I'm honestly leaning towards the justified side. Obviously killing animals to survive is something I see as fully justified. Also, I realize that I have much less of a chance of survival unless I actually practice the skills that are likely to be required in a survival situation. Sure I have hunted and guided for years with rifle and shotgun and am probably what many would consider an expert but odds are I will have neither rifle nor shotgun with me if/when place is a survival situation. When you look at it like the idea of practicing and gaining experience, it seems like a no-brainer.... ah but I still get that feeling of guilt. Deadfall traps are nasty things when they don't make a clean kill. Finding a wounded animal in your trap the next morning is (for me) a lot worse feeling than wounding a deer whos blood trail you follow to finish him off as soon as you catch up with him.