With all due respect, I must disagree with downplaying the need for food in a survival situation. While one might tolerate going without food for months, it would be extremely dangerous. The body, once it depletes its storage of fats, will start to breakdown muscle for an energy source. The only source of energy with which the brain can function, is glucose, the blood-brain barrier prevents other potential energy providing molecules from entering the brain.

In fact I would say that when we discus survival needs in general, there is a tendency to downplay how important food really is in a successful outcome. While I am sure there are many stories of survival where food was extremely limited and not a factor in the outcome, from my personal experiences and observations, food is an essential for even short time survival. Having gone through technical rescue training and actual rescues in adverse weather conditions, I have seen both in myself and others on my team quickly succumb to the wet and cold with reduced mental and physical stability. In fact, part of our training was to achieve under close supervision, the point at which we were unable to function with sense or reason. At this point the person or persons were rotated to rest and take nourishment. With only a short rest and some hot liquid and some light food, everyone was able to recovery quickly. Food can provide the needed calories to fight hypothermia and to provide the energy required by the brain to function in a normal fashion. I will always believe food should receive a higher status in our priorities of survival. Pete