Alain,

Hi,

Always remember what it is that poachers are trying to do: First, they are seeking to commit a crime. Second, they are trying to escape undiscovered. Third, they are seeking a dead animal carcass, whether for meat or other illicit purposes.

They do not want to be noticed or discovered. They will not want to contact, let alone confront a hostile opponent.

Thus in situations of possible poachers, it is desireable to be as noticable as noticeable as possible. Frankly, since you are dealing with a criminal element, sufficient armament does add to your security. Naturally your own safety is paramount.

Applying these principles to your situation, I would do the following:

1. If nocturnal and careless poaching were the norm in the area, I would avoid the area totally.

2. If the area seemed reasonably safe, but some danger seemed reasonably (sorry, I can't help these expressions--they're an occupational behavior) possible, I'd make sure I had cover--a physical barrier to any potential gunshots (trees, berms, whatever).

3. Make oneself as conspicuous as a non-meat/game animal as possible. Shiny foil streamers of various blatant colors, and with lighting come to mind. Your imagination may be more productive.

4. Personal defensive measures are an asset, assuming they are legal.

Naturally these are only my opinions as a somewhat experienced, but now very careful hunter. As a farmboy, I'm not so sure I was quite as legal and ethical. Nonetheless, I still fully subscribed to all applicable moral constraints. Now, I try to make absolutely certain I'm absolutely scrupulous in all respects.

Have fun,

John