Along this same line, I use a similar technique when I take new scouts out for a nature "hike" (plant and animal identification). I first ask if they have everything they need, water, first aid, etc. I get some groans as we start out on our "hike." We take a few dozen steps, enough to get some separation from ourselves and the cap, then sit down. I can spend a good fifteen to thirty minutes there reviewing a dozen plants that are within reach or site. By the time we are done with our "hike," we have gone a few hundred yard tops. <br><br>The rest of the day I'll get some of the scouts coming up to me so they can drag me over to a plant they want to identify. At which point I tell them to get the appropriate field guide and then tell me what they think it is. ( I find it more useful to teach them how to find out what it is themselves instead of them learning all of the names from rote.)<br><br>Anyway, without knowing why, I guess my technique helps get urban kids to change their focus to the wild environment.