I actually met Cody a year ago during filming of a survival show and he is the real deal. He walks the walk and knows his stuff.

Iodine is getting a bad wrap lately here and elsewhere. Fact is its been used for decades with no problems other than people allergic to it or with health issues it reacts to.

It was never meant to be a long term solution but meant only as a temporary means to purify ie:2 weeks or less. With those guidelines it works fine and is effective.

Redundancy is the name of the game when using semi flimsy and perishable emergency gear. The heavy space blanket will make an excellent shelter roof while you can crawl into the garbage bags underneath. I do not like the space blanket except for first aid as part of a hypothermia wrap system. The space blanket bag is a better idea.

I like the gerber bottle bags and carry them in my bigger kit but they have 2 drawbacks. A) they take up way too much space for my altoids EDC kit B) you need to carry 6 of them to carry and great amount of water.

Because of this I will still keep 3 repackaged and shrink wrapped condoms in my altoids kit and use the gerber bags in my bigger kit only.

Fresnel lenses are a fancy name for a plastic magnifying lense.

You can go to any Staples or Office Depot and find a thin plastic 8.5x11 sheet of magnifying plastic for reading. Look for it in the magnifying glasses and office tools section. It costs about $7-9 and can be cut to any size. I outfitted 6 kits with one sheet and made different sized lenses.

Flip