The real temperature for hypo/hyperthermia should be goten from the core of the body and device for that is about 12 inches long and goes up your anus (ouch).

Thermometer should let you know if the body is under or over 98.6 F or 36.6 C. You have to remember that you are treating a patient not thermometer (instrument). Learn different levels of hypothermia and heat emergencies. Learn their signs and symptoms and go by that. Most of my hypothermic patient gets removed from harsh enviroment, heat packs into arm pits and groin area, blankets and warm fluids (oral or IV (no warmer than 102 F) depending on the situation. Heat emergencies get cooling, colder IV or fluids. I monitor them very closely to prevent rewarming or cooling shock from hapening. Excact temperature is good for the ER; in the field you are better off just applying the standard treatment.

And now on Aventure Medical Kits. Most of the time stuff inside is good for 2 years. When I got mine I took it appart and made a list on what expires when and every few months I replace meds. It is a painful tasks but since I go thru big volume of meds most of the stuff is replaced allready. When you get your kit open it up and put items the way you like them. It saves time in the emergency when you dont have to look for them since you already know their locations. Also FAKs are designed for bare minimum and none of them are perfect. Most likely you will add some items on your own.