yes i did read what i wrote. The laws here (UK) are mad. If you are stopped and searched by the police and carrying a knife that you do not have good reason to carry then you will be prosecuted. Self defence is specifically NOT allowed as good reason. If found to be carrying a weapon on the streets and you claim its for self defence then you will be found guilty of possession of an offensive weapon. UK law does not allow carrying of weapons for self defence. That doesnt even include the ones that possession of is illegal full stop - ballisongs, autos, gravity knives, telescoping batons, kubotan etc. It may be mad but those are the laws. The only thing you have a right to carry without having to justify it to the authorities is a knife with a sub 3" non locking blade. Even then there are places such as schools where carrying that is an offence. And if you used it in defence you would almost certainly be prosecuted, hell even pulling it out of your pocket in that circumstance is an offence.

The chances of you meeting someone in the uk with a firearm on the streets isnt high though so possibly a bit of an exageration. There was a case earlier this year when an old lady in her 80's was burgled by armed intruders, she chased them out of her house with a katana. She got away with it being old. A young man may (up to the courts) have been found guilty. A few years ago a farmer shot a burgler inside his home with a shotgun and was tried and sent to prison for the killing. Even although one of his neighbours had been killed during a burglary.

I realise that lots of people carry a knife (including me) and that in extremis could use it as a weapon to defend themselves. My post was just meant as a reminder to be careful and not fall foul of the law and get arrested and prosecuted for being prepared. If stopped by the police in the UK DO NOT tell them your knife is for self defence (even if it is!) since that in itself is a crime. Just train yourself to come out with a more reasonable excuse. (useful advice for travellers to our island)