Yes, and what this "bug out" strategy fails to take into account is the reality of a mass evacuation in Florida. Since it was ignored the first time, I'll say it again.

Unless you leave 3-5 days in advance of the storm, the likely scenerio is that you and your family will be caught in the worst traffic jam imagineable somewhere south of Jacksonville with your tank out of gas and no way to replace it because all the gas stations will be out.

If the storm track changes just a little (and it usually does), you may find yourself weathering the storm on I-95 in a motor vehicle with a bunch of paniced knuckle heads. Also think about what risk you are putting yourself and your family to be victims of the criminal element sitting on an interstate highway or a lonely exit out of gas with law enforcement unable to aid you.

Add to that scenerio the fact that there are multiple (usually over a dozen) highway deaths caused by each evacuation as people freak out and cause accidents.

Most people simply cannot leave 3-5 days ahead of the storm. The tracks are simply not that accurate and change wildly. Most employers will not close their facilities until an actual hurricane warning is issued which only comes when there is a substantial chance that the area will experience hurricane force winds within the next 24 hours.

24 hours before the storm there was no gasoline to be had in Palm Beach County or anywhere north along I-95.

Now, compare that scenerio to weathering out the storm in a hardened concrete structure with hurricane shutters with a safe room. Also assume you have sufficent supplies to deal with the aftermath of a storm.

When applied to real life (not hypotheticals), the "bug out" option is not all that appealing and I resent the insinuation that I am putting my family at greater risk by not electing to use it. Come down here in walk in my shoes before before jumping to conclusions. The bottom line is that I am more likely to be killed by a freaked-out idiot in an SUV on I-95 than a hurricane. I can't explain it any clearer than that. I'll shut up now.

Stay safe.

Craig.

Edited by celler (09/12/04 01:51 PM)