Instead of a standard BIC lighter, I have found those which are about half the width ( imagine a half chamber only) and more like a pen. I did as you suggested and it was a good substitute to the spark-lite. Just a little bigger the the original. I've also noticed that different disposable lighters spark differently. So I resorted to buying a bunch of these lighters (costs 60cents in Singapore) and experimenting with the sparking ability. I naturally chose the ones which produced the biggest spark!<br> The petroleum jelly coated cotton balls worked just fine with this and this budget spark-lite now has a place in my mini PSK.<br><br>However, instead of putting the cotton balls in my psk, I've stuck with the spark-lite tinder. Also, instead of putting the tinder into the bottom of the lighter, I put my fishing kit in it instead (12 hooks(2 diff sizes), 8 splitshot) and stuffed the opening with half a tinder to stop rattling.<br><br>Thanks for the great idea!<br><br>Regards<br>Trusbx<br><br>Greetings from the FINE city (Singapore)