Originally Posted By: Chisel
Yesterday she wrote that she is completely surprised. She was expecting that services are much better than ours. However, they are nowhere to compare. In the bank for example, she and her husband asked where to take a number, they were told there are no numbers. They had to stand in a line waiting for their turn. At home, you take a number and have a seat. When your number is called, you see the clerk. Same for getting the ATM card ..etc. Everything is much slower and less automated or organized.

I told her my take on this that most establishments there are geared to serve bigger customers like gov or corporations, or billionaires. They are not focused on serving the average John or Jane. They just do not pay enough attention to the average person.

She wrote also about the cultural differences saying that we always have seen pictures of crowds in trains or busses, always reading something. We always thought they must be vastly knowledgeable. However, looking closer now, they are only reading novels, nothing of real intellectual value.

She added that some nice folks there asked them: How do you see America ? LOL. They thought that we have come from tents and never seen an asphalt road. They answered: OK, nice. But within their hearts, they are saying: We are beyond surprised that this is America.

NOTE to moderator.

I am writing this being a long term member here, feeling comfortable enough to write openly and frankly. The only goal here is mutual understanding of each other culture and personalities. Nothing else.

There is absolutely no intention of offending anyone. If anyone is offended it is not my intention, and I will request the moderator to edit or delete.

That's just plain old culture shock.

And...well...it's Jersey.

Anyway, the doctor thing. it's been mentioned before but most likely won't be able to work as a physician. Can probably take a year internship and get a medical license to be a general practitioner (assuming NJ still does that), if not, PA, NY and DE are all close enough to look at them. Or she can try to teach, or find some other non-patient medical job.