Originally Posted By: pforeman
It is a good idea or plan to have non-electronic entertainment on hand. I may be an old fuddy-duddy but I am still amazed at it when I see folks any time they have 'down time' such as a waiting room on on a bus, etc. They whip out a device/phone and ignore everything around them.

We've got books, board games and the such for non-electric entertainment too.

Well, I understand your disdain for "phone zombies" who wander cluelessly into traffic.

But in a waiting room, you don't know what they are looking at.

It may be mindless fluff (more likely). But when I started carrying one of these infernal devices, and had beater tablets at my disposal, I quickly learned that you can download half the world's library of timeless books from gutenberg.org and have them at your fingertips even without internet access.

In addition, phones/tablets are relatively easy to charge, even in an extended power outage. Unlike laptops.

So when you see me in a waiting room with a far-off look, be advised that I may be on one of Twain's Mississipi steamboats, or walking Dickens' streets of Victorian England, immersed in the finest writing that the English language has to offer.