A trick I learned from an old Popular Science Magazine , many decades ago, after I had already had the bad experience. Always carry a small can of penetrating oil in ur car tool kit or tire change kit. ( Or maybe WD-40 today?). If u have to change a tire, squirt a bit of said oil on top of and face of ,still fastened lug nut . Then hit the lug nut, a few times, somewhat sharply with the lug wrench and wait a minute before you try to unscrew the lug nuts.

The idea is to get the vibration to help the lubricant into the screws so they loosen more easily, especially in wet freezing conditions. That way it’s more likely to come off from even hand power and a short lug wrench. You can wipe it clean afterwards.

Ask me how I know this is a good idea: Changing a flat snow tire in the middle of a snow storm aand braking the lug and nut off as I leaned down on it to loosen it and injured my knuckles pretty badly, despite my heavy leather work gloves. as the lug broke off and my straight / elbow locked arm got driven into the pavement.