Groo:

IMHO, I'd stay away from tall concrete and steel buildings...more stuff to crush you or be thrown about and kill you.

Many wood frame houses have withstood generations of hurricanes with only minor damage. The less around you to be blown about, the better off you are.

Worry more about the aftermath. 10 minutes with intact roads and no traffic and emergency services running is a LOT different than with debris-ridden streets, looters and armed predators about, before authority steps in...

..so while considering where to ride the storm out for the storm itself is a consideration...remember that you only have to survive for about 12 hours under those conditions, during which time your actual control over your environment will be restricted to location, location, location.

It will be the aftermath where your preparations and forethought will decide whether you are comfortable or a victim, or somewhere in between.

This is just what I saw in the aftermath of Andrew.

I wasn't there for the storm. I was there for 2 weeks helping keep businesses (banks, actually) from being looted and robbed in the interim before emergency services were established on a consistent basis.

What I'm saying is, where you weather the storm, while important, is equally as important as where and how much your supply stash is.

Secure your gear.

Panz