Install cameras. I mentioned earlier about a friend that I helped install the cameras in her mom's house. The mom had a stroke but was active and in good health otherwise. The cameras and good neighbors helped keep her in her house for a couple of years longer than she would have been able to stay in the family home. I commented on the beer and ice cream for breakfast, that was the funny story. "Mom" was rolling in the trash can one morning, stumbled, and then went head first into the can. She wasn't seriously injured, skinned knees and a few bruises, called one of the neighbors who helped mom get out of the garbage can and into the house. My friend only lived an hour and change away, fortunately not 6 hours. When she shows up an hour and a half later and asks her mom if she's ok. Her mom replies with, I'm good but my knee hurts. When asked why her knee hurts the mom says "I don't know". Without the cameras they would not have known there was a problem until one of the neighbors noticed something wrong and called. Eventually the mom was moved to a home because of her memory problems were slowly getting worse. The good and bad was that by then her memory was to the point that after a few weeks she settled into the new place without to much grief of being forced out of the family home. My friend also had siblings and family that helped with the camera monitoring and frequent visits.

Unfortunately, at some point you will have to make a hard decision that they are not going to like. There will be many other things that come up between now and then and I hope that you have support from others in the family that can help shoulder the load. Enlist your children into helping too, remind them that this is training for when you get old.