Are you talking about Texas or Minnesota? Every place has upsides and downsides. Both can get storms; in MN it's generally blizzards while TX can get tornadoes and depending on the which part of the state, hurricanes. I guess TX has had a few blizzards the last 20 years and they're utterly unprepared when it does happen. On a personal level though a person could make sure they prepare their own household.

In Montana or Minnesota, as climate change progresses wildfire is a bigger and bigger problem. Not all of MN or MT is forested but you have to have a plan if you do live in an area in or bordering on a forest. The last fire season was brutal (to be fair, there kind of isn't even a season for fire any more- it's a year round problem). Luckily Bozeman, while surrounded by forests, is in a kind of large circular clearing where there's no real danger of wild fire. But when I lived in Idaho I could walk out of my yard and right into the woods!