Hi All,

If all goes according to plan I'll crew on a sailboat racing from Newport Rhode Island to Bermuda in June. While I'll have input on the abandon ship bags and we already have life rafts, I write today for your input on my "always on me" kit.

Here's my plan, I look forward to input. [I used DR's list as a starting point, available here: http://equipped.org/survlkit.htm#OVERWATEREQUIP]

Thigh Pocket:
Ocean Signal PLB1
Signal Mirror
Rescue Streamer

Left Pocket:
Nitecore M12 (attached with lanyard)

Right Pocket:
Spyderco Atlantic Salt

In/on Spinlock Deckvest:
ACR AISLink
Auto On Strobe
Safety Knife (to cut from form jack lines if needed)
Small bottle of water (I always carry this when racing, not an addition for survival purposes)
Whistle
Small bottle of sunscreen
(I have more room here, need to decide what to add, if anything)

On me:
Sun Hoodie
long pants
shoes
cellular apple watch, cellular feature should be useless once away from Newport
[Could add leatherman to belt]

Things to consider: I will only be sailing to Bermuda, not the return trip. We will be racing with more than 100 other boats. We'll often be within line of site with other boats and almost always be within VHF range of other boats. If something goes wrong, I anticipate fairly rapid rescue by another sailboat unless we're in a storm that makes it too difficult for another boat to reach us safely. Odds are that if weather like that is forecast the race will be cancelled.

Things I'm considering adding to my life jacket: Rescue Laser, Waterproof VHF radio.

Realistically my life jacket will only be worn at night (always) and during high winds. Not 24/7. Thus it is preferred to keep some basics on my person 24/7 (as in, I plan to sleep with my PLB in my pocket).

Weight and bulk are both important as I need to be able to move around the boat quickly and easily, potentially in bad weather.

So what am I missing? What should I not bother with?

I appreciate and look forward to your thoughts.

-R