Originally Posted By: haertig
I like gadgets, but I have decided that flashlight interfaces should be simple rather than complex. That two-button interface on the EC11 is a turn off to me. Two buttons right next to each other, and it doesn't look like you could easily find them by feel alone in the dark.

I have several flashlights that require long push, short push, half push, double click and all kinds of other gyrations. You hand a light like that to someone else who requests temporary use, and they can't figure out how to work it. Even me, as the light owner, have trouble sometimes when I haven't used that particular light in a while, have other lights with different interfaces, and struggle to remember which interface style I am supposed to use. I have one light with an otherwise simple interface - push to turn on low, again for next lighting level, repeat, and finally it cycles back to low to start all over again. That's simple. But I can't tell you how many times a friend has handed me my light back still glowing away, because they couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Push and hold for that operation. But if I accidentally did that on a different flashlight, I'd be flashing SOS or some other stupid thing. Has anyone every intentionally used a flashing SOS function?! If I saw that out in the woods, I'd think "Ha! Another fool that doesn't know how to work their flashlight."

The best interface, for me, is the Fenix PD25. Tail switch for on/off. Separate button up front to cycle through output levels. Remembers last light level. But even that fools some people. They either try to turn it on/off with that forward lighting level button (fail), or they correctly identify the tail switch for on/off and never even realize there is a second button up front to adjust output. But even though not perfect, this Fenix PD25 interface is the best compromise I've run into. People's personal tastes may vary though.

I'm afraid that future iterations will have instructions like "Double-click tail switch, while holding down the front button for 5 seconds, then rapidly twist the head left and right 3 times." That's how you turn it on. But if you want SOS, that's "Click button once."

I assure you, it is very easy to distinguish the two buttons from each other in the dark by feel. It’s even easy to press them both with one thumb to activate or deactivate the electronic lockout mode.

The UI of the EC11 is obviously more complicated that that of my Fenix E12 v2.0, but it’s not hard to figure out.

From OFF:
short press the Power button turns on the last used brightness setting.
long press the Power button turns on the Ultra-Low setting.
short press the Mode button turns on the red LED.
long press the Mode button turns on the Turbo setting.
double short press the Mode button turns on the Strobe.

To activate the lockout, turn the flashlight on, then press and hold the Power button and the Mode button (in that order). The light will go off, flash once, then the red LED will blink out the battery voltage

To deactivate the lockout, do the same thing, the light will come on in Ultra-Low mode.

Those are the only operations: short press one, double short press one, long press one, or long press both. This isn’t Anduril. laugh