Time to time , I notice some You-tubers talking about moving to another house, and can’t help but feel how vulnerable they are during the move without their stocked pantry and blooming kitchen garden. They definitely need some time before they settle and re-build their prep resources.

However, that kind of move is planned at least. They may have contingency plans for what-if something happens when they are just starting the new home.

But sometimes, we are faced with events completely un-prepared. It seems to be my situation now. Reading all news and thoughts about the impeding supply-chain crisis, and at the same time our house is going to be upside down (almost literally).

Our project of building another home is postponed and another project suddenly has first priority. It is fixing/remodeling the upper floor of our current house. This upper floor is full of furniture (we lived there before finishing the ground floor). Old plan was to build the other house (in another town) and take this furniture there. When this floor is empty we can start the project. But now, with priorities upside down, we have to find somewhere to store the extra furniture and start the project. Not very good timing.

I am planning to build two sheds to contain some of this stuff. But there is another more troubling factor. In this process, I am losing my 2 man caves: the home office, and workshop. They both have to be moved and stored until the project is finished, and then office will be moved to a room downstairs (occupied now by our son), and the workshop will be moved down the shed in the garden which will be used now for storage.

I feel naked, to put it mildly. Actually, I am feeling insecure without these two. The office is where I do all planning, have my computer and paper files, and part of my library. The workshop is where I execute the plans and implement solutions to any problem. Losing them both while waiting for something like this supply chain crisis is unnerving.

And yes, we are losing the pantry upstairs, to be substituted with a smaller pantry downstairs, which needs some time to be ready.

After this long rant, what do you do if you are prepping minded, but events are pushing you to un-prepping ???