Coming from you, Chaosmagnet, I consider that ‘high praise’ indeed. It has been a work in progress for many decades and seen different sizes and emphasizes. They say that armies always prepare for the last war and , as u can see, my preps 911/ accident centric: 1) Get me/ us out of here, that is the scene of the calamity ’( preferably in one piece,); 2) Fix me/ us up, from a first -aid standpoint, at least we’ll enough to get to or transported to hospital; and 3) Help me/us walk home in a long day’s walk or without overnight stay in a makeshift shelter ( a hallway, overpass, poncho lean-to, etc.). I hope I have planned well enough for the next ugly surprise!

It is not a hike out , iNCH or tactical bag. Where would I walk or even take a transport to an area that is appreciable less dense, in any reasonable time? I’m not into fantasy preps. . On 911 it was ‘ Shanks Mare ‘ , except for the NY Little Ship Flotilla, ( Google it. It is an amazing story and there is a great ~20min.video. Those spontaneous, unorganized volunteers and ferry operators, got more people off Manhattan Island ,in one day ,than the Brits got out of Dunkirk in a week.).It does not presume a Zombie apocalypse or societal breakdown.

The planned for calamity does not really include NBC threats except the nitrile gloves, N-95 mask, poncho(?) , goggles & Purell. More prep in this regard would require prohibitively heavy/ expensive equipment and would never allow me to get into many public venues that do searches, e.g. museums, etc.

It is also not a bag full of weapons and weapon related equipment. It’s NYC/ NJ. Cops everywhere in Mid-town and Downtown Manhattan and every entertainment venue. Crime isn’t really much of a concern where we live and recreate, if u use a modicum of street smarts ( now called “ situational awareness”) and both my wife and I are born and bread City Rats.

Pepper spray is legal , under some conditions and that could be used for aggressive 2 & 4 footed animals. But we can’t carry it into venues. Altho I’m in good shape for a near geezer, I need a cane to lean on if I’m going to be on my feet for several hours, due to spinal surgery and metal implants some years ago. I have a collection of sturdy hickory crook canes and some Blackthorn sticks from Shillelagh in Ireland. In my earlier life I participated in martial arts with my son , so use of a cane for such needs is not altogether foreign to me. And, as told to me by a police officer friend, just a strong grip ready grip on your sturdy stick, erect posture , eye contact ( but not staring) and a determined look, will, cause a majority of bad guys to choose an easier ‘ mark’. They’re not usually in looking for anyone who will fight back and just might hurt one of them. Life experience has proved his advice to be a truism, at least,since the end of the Crack epidemic, many years ago. It s true, Crack Kills ( it’s users).

I’d very much appreciate your comments and those of any of our colleagues, on equipment suggestions ,challenges to present equipment or needs, scenarios prepared for, etc.

PS: I just just tried , unsuccessfully, to add to my list an item I forgot, MY SONY ARM BAND, AM-FM, EAR BUD RADIO. ( 2AAA Lithium batteries remover and carried in a small zip-lol). ( Now out of production.But there are generic equivalents that work fine.). But there is not edit option now, on that post , to add the radio. Does the edit option iexpire?

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/12/21 07:12 PM)