This is a tough one to call... When I did my research I finally figured out I could not count on any one set up. I now have a CB, four sets of GMRS/FRS radios (also got the GMRS license) and ham radios with a tech license.

It seems that what she will need has to be specific to the neighborhood or community where she is. The decision should be driven by what "others" in her area are using or have planned to use. The only advantage to the hand held is you can walk around. If you are staying in place - there are several better 'base station' options on all the radio bands.

She may be better off with a 'mobile' radio and not just a hand held:
https://midlandusa.com/product-category/micromobile/ This thinking could also include a CB rig as a base radio. Maybe her best bet is a base station of some type and a compatible hand held to match it.

One such as the above and an external antenna on the car or house will do a whole lot better than the blister two-pack from Walmart.

ADDED: I was just thinking - none of this radio stuff is going to be as simple as a cell phone to use. There will be a need for her to learn how the darn thing works and will need to also practice actually using it so learning/training must also be considered.

Edited by pforeman (09/07/21 02:43 PM)