OK, I lost my bet, at least in part. But, the term “New York Reload” long predates any laws concerning limits on firearms magazine capacity. The first time I remember hearing the term was in the 1950s and I think the term goes back even further.

In the 60s, I learned that NYPD officers were among the ( then) few police who routinely carried a second handgun, usually a 5-6 shot S&W or Colt snubbie revolver, in an offhand ankle or pocket holster. The first time I saw it in print was in a book or article by or about Jim Cirillo’s famed “Stakeout Squad”. Still later , after the famed “Onion Field “ incident, in L.A. I think, some officers also started carrying a ultra small Browning .25 automatic or similar weapon, in a closed flap handcuff case, worn at the center rear of the duty belt, along with a cuff key, taped inside the back of the duty belt.

One of the NYPD Detectives which whom I attended law school, told me that when he was in uniform, stationed on a subway platform beat in the Bronx, he carried three guns. His S&W Model 10 , 4” in barrel, issued 6 shot revolver; a S& W air weight revolver, 5 shot, in an ankle holster and a ( completely Department Unapproved) .25 auto in the described handcuff case and the cuff key, as described. This was in the bad old days of NYC crime rates, in the late 1960s - 1970s.

Today, one of my young cousins is a NYPD Officer. He is only on the job a few years and he drew a subway platform assignment in Brooklyn, at least until he recently got promoted to a good plain clothes assignment. He said he and most of his colleagues, carry their approved Glock 19s in their belt holsters and a Glock 26 for offhand use, in an ankle holster. The G26 is also his approved off-duty carry weapon. He says the Department won’t approve revolvers for any new officers , for off duty use.

Edited by Acropolis50 (08/18/21 07:08 PM)