Definitely a good idea.

My parents are older, and with the heat and humidity of the south power outages can be dangerous for them. For about a month our central air was out of action in the middle of the summer, though we still had power, and a little window AC unit was a lifesaver by making one room bearable. I've since purchased a small generator, nothing fancy but enough to run it in case the power did go out. The alternative was to have them hang out in the car most of the day with the A/C running, and it's good IMO to have tiered PACE like contingency plans that start at your familiar standard of living, then if something happens (like weather or power outage) you can change gears seamlessly to the next level down, and then down further as the event extends in time or severity and supplies have to be stretched. In addition to the generator we have the car, a small inverter for the car, plenty of battery banks and small solar panels to cover things like basic lighting and personal electronic power, we can transition from electrical stove to grill or camp stoves to cook food in the freezer if needed, an alternate source of water, etc.

Puerto Rico post Maria was an eye opener for me when it came to preparedness, when you may face extended durations where you're simply on your own without power, and COVID was another eye opener, illustrating just how difficult it is to self isolate even for just two weeks without having to venture out for resupply. It was mostly an inconvenience with COVID, but a pandemic on this scale could have easily been far worse.

We had a tornado a few years back, our station was called out for the recovery effort that night. I shot a video the morning after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfkCe0I6Xso

They really do skip some houses and completely obliterate others (like you see near the end of this video). Luckily no one seriously hurt, but it got me thinking about building a classic tornado shelter out of cinder blocks like the old FEMA manuals

Edited by Burncycle (07/20/21 07:38 AM)