I just logged in for the first time in years, I think, but this past week, I finally got around to purchasing a new EDC flashlight, a Fenix E12 v2.0, to replace the Inova X1 I bought several years ago that is terrible.

The Inova X1 replaced my venerable Leatherman Serac S3, because I got tired of spending a fortune on CR123A batteries, and the only semi-reasonable ones available near me were the Rayovacs at Walmart. Walmart stopped carrying them.

I also got a Fenix HM23 headlamp, but that’s not for EDC.

My EDC has not really changed that much, otherwise, at least in terms of actual survival tools. I still carry in my handbag:

a flashlight, the Fenix E12 v2.0, with a spare battery
a small knife, a Victorinox Rambler
a larger knife, a Gerber Harsey AirFrame fine edge
a pen, a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, gold titanium nitride
a lighter, a Bic mini Bic
a sharpener, a DiaSharp fine credit card
a pair of tweezers, Tweezerman Slant
a couple of jelly type hair elastics
a small towel, a PackTowl Personal face size
a small spray bottle of isopropanol
a small spray can of Lysol
a pocket pack of Kleenex tissues
a small ziplock bag with 16 ea. 200 mg ibuprofen, 500 mg acetaminophen, and 25 mg diphenhydramine
a roll of antacid tablets, Rolaids
and for the past 16 months, a spare face mask, from Columbia (the clothing company)

I reality, I carry a lot more stuff on a daily basis, but the rest isn’t “survival” gear, primarily. For instance, I always carry a Buck Diamondback fixed blade for food, primarily for cutting crusty baguettes and slicing apples for lunch. That knife only gets used for food. And usually, I carry a 40 oz Klean Kanteen filled with water, or a 1L Nalgene.

I also carry a full set of Snow Peak titanium flatware (SCT-001 fork, spoon, knife, plus SCT-004 spork), and a pair of Keith solid titanium travel chopsticks (the older 171 mm model, they are now 190 mm). And my iPhone, now a 2020 SE model, replacing my 2015 6S model, and its related charging accessories, along with an Anker 5Ah backup battery.

I’m not currently wearing my Breitling Seawolf Avenger, because I’ve put on a little bit of weight the last few years, and I need to have a link added back into the bracelet. When I bought it in 2002, I had to have several links taken out to fit my skinny wrists, but now it’s a bit uncomfortable even with the clasp on the widest setting, even in Winter, when my wrists are their skinniest. I have to travel a very long way to find a Breitling dealer, now, so it may be some time before I get around to it. So, in the meantime, when I need/want to wear a watch, it’s a Timex Expedition Scout with a black one-piece band.

Edited by amper (07/04/21 10:10 PM)