Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Basically, you run from wildfires, but with EQs, SIP is somewhat more likely...

Good point about fires. She'll be living in an urban college dorm towards the center of town, surrounded by other buildings and businesses. Hmmm, maybe some solar yardlights in case the power goes out? She won't have a vehicle until next year so if she has to leave she'll have to catch a ride with someone, which is another reason for small gear. Based on previous comments, I am dumping the mess kit and fuel tab stove.
-Blast
prompted a memory; I have a couple of these solar lanterns:
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/luminaid-packlite-12-aufblasbare-solarlaterne-solar-aufblasbare-faltbare-teleskop-airbag-beleuchtung-shows_p8518462.html?currency=USD&litb_from=bing_shopping&sku=276_344678&country_code=us&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingshopping&litb_from=paid_bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=%5BEN%5D%5BBSC%5D%5BLITB%5D%5Bc229%5D%5BS%26O%5D(US)(shopping)(L1)&msclkid=7225f4a4f98e1136dc59947301bb7fcf

I guess now they can charge a smartphone too... I've had mine for a few years and they've held up well.