I went though the REI website and listed the current retail prices for all the equivalent items in the 72 kit. should have basically the same capabilities. For very little more, one could surpass the capabilities of the 72 kit, by adding a compass and a signal mirror. Food was the single exception, their choice being relatively inadequate for any reasonable level of activity (one does not burn many calories sitting in a lifeboat and the rations are fine if you are completely sedentary.

In the real world, one would shop even more carefully and achieve a result less costly and much more satisfactory. I will admit that I did cheat - at no time was I blindfolded.

I startle at the language "do everything that the 72 kit can do" - the kit, or any kit, doesn't do anything. The user employs the items in the kit and other resources to achieve fire, shelter, etc. The critical component is the knowledge, skills, capabilities, and determination of the survivor-to-be.

This kit is so inadequate in so many ways. I think we covered most of then in the other thread. Anyone buying this hodge-podge is throwing their money away.