Just added up my figures - came to a total of $432, subtracting REI's money back patronage dividend (typically 10%), the total expenditure would be under $400, substantially cheaper than the $562 quoted price tag.

I would add several items, notably a compass, signal mirror, and a headlamp. Another item of huge importance is a map or mapping capability - my preference is a reasonably up to date USGS based topographic map, like those issued by National Geographic.

Food is an interesting issue. As the reviewer correctly states, good meals are not an immediate concern. This is true if one is sedentary and not doing arduous travel. If hiking, better chow is a real good idea - at least some kind of caffeine for morale, if nothing else. I deleted food from my above calculations - that is a highly personal issue. I tend to grab GORP, a few energy bars, and a Tanka bar or three as I head out the door - many more calories, and actually nutritious...

In the real world, of course, you will not set down and order blindly from any catalog. Begin with things at hand, items with which you are familiar, and then add to the assemblage as you run across promising gadgets which will eventually be folded into the mix, based on trial and experience. Ultimately this will be cheaper, not that it matters. When your gear must perform, the last consideration is the cost of the item - does it work as expected?

And ideally, this equipment is used, demonstrating its capability, and not stowed away, awaiting a FIAT (Future Imaginary Apocalyptic Time) when society disintegrates and murderous mobs emerge. FIATs may occur, but erupting volcanoes are more common.

One further issue:

"Hikermore, you were not specific. Where is the fracture? Concussions and unconsciousness are outside the scope of the small FAK."

This shows the importance of training over mere gadgetry. Usually the most important issue -is there a fracture and where, precisely, is it? cannot be determined definitively in the field. you need a X-ray, at a minimum. But a properly trained first aider can recognize the potential signs of a fracture and tend to them, often without necessarily opening the FAK at all. Same deal with concussions and unconsciousness - you need the requisite training to recognize appropriate signs in a thorough patient survey and treat accordingly. A small FAK may indeed e useful. The critical element is the training and experience you bring to the situation, and not all the goodies in your FAK..(That also applies to life in general.)

Please spell my avatar correctly. Rant over and out.