Originally Posted By: hikermor
Well for one, let's start with the backpack. You adhere to the grey man (or woman) strategy. How dos carrying a branded survival pack help there?

I have the SEVENTY2, not the pro. With what I have, the branding on the outside is not noticeable until you shine a light on it. The solution addresses conflicting problems. Grey or dull colors help a person to blend in but is in danger at night if they are unseen by motorists. Bright colors or reflective materials provide safety at night but draw unwanted attention during the day. Including reflective material that is the same color as the pack but can reflect light is the most well-balanced solution that I've seen yet.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I can pick at least three of my current daypacks that are better built, with greater capacity, and comfort. They also have adequate hip belts, a crucial item.

Their multitool is highly suspect. Some no name knockoff leatherman. My EDC is a Skeletool and I have several Ltools on the shelf which are better.

Their canteen is a joke. I often use recycled energy drink containers with more capacity and greater capability, among others. The capacity of their canteen is inadequate for almost any purpose.

I was blown away at the audacity of including alkaline batteries (alkaleaks) especially in the well known deficient three AAA format. At least use primary lithium batteries, for heaven's sake!

Chintsy little flashlight. Your primary light should be a dependable headlamp, backed up with a decent flashlight (probably your EDC)

I can go on, but the bottom line is - establish your own emergency kit, aligned with your capabilities and situation. Do not depend on a one-size-fits-all solution with an eye of the bottom line.

I said ALL of the advantages. One of the advantages I mentioned that you have not included is uniformity. If you are going to claim that you can come up with something better than the SEVENTY2, then it needs to be better for your claim to hold water.

That said, there is a problem with all pre-made kits that you and I can agree with and that is their one-size-fits-most nature. That problem can be mitigated by making modifications, such as what I have done with my off-the-shelf medical kit.

Jeanette Isabelle