If you're only going to have one thing, CLP is the thing to have. It is not the best at cleaning, lubricating or protecting, but it's competent at all of those jobs. I've only tried the military variety (presumably "liberated" by my father when I was a wee shooter) and BreakFree.

I've been using Slip2000 Carbon Killer in place of Hoppe's #9. I spend a lot less effort in getting things clean, and Mrs. Magnet does not object to the aroma. It works differently: with Hoppes, I would soak the offending part, let it sit, and scrub it off. With Slip2000, I put a bit on a shop rag (or patch, or boresnake) and wipe off the carbon fouling.

For lubricating handguns and shotguns, I use Tuf Glide and a Tuf Cloth, with great success. I originally learned of this from Doug. The Tuf Glide applicator pens are great, especially if you refill them from a larger bottle of Tuf Glide.

For AR-style firearms I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10W30. I can go two thousand rounds or more without difficulty -- it doesn't seem to attract carbon fouling or other gunk, and it stays "wet" where I put it very well.