Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

On the cayenne pepper issue; I think your priority of carrying it and not have a compress dressing like the Israeli dressing is backward. There is a lot of anecdotal information that cayenne pepper can slow bleeding and improve clotting but no actual evidence. Again you can carry whatever you want in your own kit, but for the others here that are considering carrying cayenne pepper for medical purposes please do a lot of research before doing so.

I understand your view and normally I would agree. But I normally have a brick of 4 inch gauze pads in there and several compression bandages as part of the first aid backpack, so I already have that emergency capability. The idea of the Israeli bandage is simply to speed things up in applying first aid when needed. Seconds save lives and so it is one thing that I plan on adding.

Cayenne pepper is one thing that I have used with success to dissolve blood clots in the body and overcome thromboses. It works topically to help with bleeding and it has been used for emergency application (by mouth in water) to cause rapid clotting of internal bleeding which has been lifesaving by herbalists for many years. I am not sure of any major studies either but I do know that it works and when someone is dying, if you have it, it may very well make the difference of saving their life or bleeding out. But the main reason that I have it is much less extreme. I have used it to treat thrombosis in a family member twice with great success. Also I have used it to clear out fully blocked arteries after heart surgery of another relative... extended and careful use of course, when the doctors could do no more for him. Of course it is important to not use cayenne pepper with people who are taking decent doses of blood thinners.. that can thin the blood too much so I would not give it internally but pour it into the wound as a final resort.

If you are going to use things of course it is essential that you don't go off half cocked and that you are knowledgeable in the use of such tools and treatments. Everything that is in your first aid kit you should be fully skilled and practiced in the use of.

As an aside, some local fire fighters who work with EMS / Search and Rescue, carry a bag of sugar in the truck with them. For deep wounds with internal bleeding that can't be stopped they take a cup of sugar and pour it in the wound and bandage on top it works like a treat according to them, it also helps with edema. Google scholar search for sugar and wounds is an interesting read...