Originally Posted By: hikermor
It's "update the geezer time"....

I have often applied air splints successfully 9bck in the 1980's), typically in the mountains with rapid transport, usually helo, to a lower elevation ER. Naturally pressure required adjustment during transport and all were well award of this. Typically we did not achieve a definitive diagnosis in the field and splint application was a cautionary measure. Compound, grossly distorted fx's were a different story.

A quick peek on the internet evidently shows air splints stil eing marketed. Whose call has made them obsolete?

this is a straightforward request for current information. i am well aware that protocols change with time.

Agree that many of the practices advocated in the post you responded to do seem a bit far out. Guess they play by different rules down under....

Due to the fact that air splints completely encircle the extremity and use pressure for rigidity you have basically placed a pressure device. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to stop venus blood return. When that is stoped you started the cycle of compartment syndrome. I'm not sure of the events that started the removal of air splints from use, but it has been covered in our Continuing Ed training for over 10 years and we have had them removed from our protocols for use.