The posts by J-I and CM highlight one of the essential characteristics of any really useful "survival kt" - to really work, they must be individualized to the person's skills, habits, and circumstances. No generic, off the shelf kit can do this. Still, the exorbitantly expensive and marginal kit here discussed, is better than nothing.

But it can easily be improved - I speak from experience as a backpacker and SAR volunteer, where for decades I kept my gear packed and ready to go at a moment's notice. Now sometimes we had plenty of time to prepare - "assemble tomorrow morning at" - nad sometimes it was instantaneous - "meet at ....NOW" In the latter case, you needed reliable gear, suitable for a variety of conditions, that you were familiar with and whose quirks were known. This assemblage had to adjusted seasonally, given the variety of climates available in southerner Arizona - from winter's su zero conditions (in the mountains) to summer hat when, as one of my colleagues famously declared, "your pack turns into a giant water bottle."

Actually the typical BOB pack is just a typical backpacker's assemblage, perhaps with the addition of a hopefully adequate cash stash, which will allow you the option of total self sufficiency for a number of days. You need shelter, food, probably fire or heat of some sort, first aid capability, etc. This will vary depending upon your situation, bug out scenario, and circumstances. It really helps if you have reasonable hiking experience, because you may well have to depend on you own two feet, when all else fails.

Above all, you must utilize the items selected, so that you are familiar with them. Putting them in a closet, untouched until disaster strikes, is setting the stage for trouble.