Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
...is that we don't know where we're going.
Where is it that you are bugging out to?
Other?

This is my argument for packing light and moving fast. If you're light and fast you can simply go wherever seems best under the circumstances.

People's bags that weigh 50+ lbs bags with stuff dangling off of them decked out for rebuilding civilization in a Canadian pine forest in the winter make little sense to me unless they already live in a Canadian pine forest.

I pack my bag more like I am going for a long weekend where I might end up sleeping in my friend's yard and go target shooting one morning.

Pack such that you could rough it outdoors for a night or two if need be, but so that you could also catch a ride in the back of a pickup to a hotel or an airport and be drinking cocktails on a beach while your house burns down in a forest fire. The key is light and fast. And I also recommend having things sectioned off. E.g., firearms and accessories in an interior pouch so they can be readily removed.

Have your primary gear in a bag so you can be gone in less than 5 minutes.

Have your most important gear on your person. For me, that's cell phone, wallet, keys. Often lip balm. When traveling or abandoning abode, add passport. When permitted, include a knife and/or multitool, lighter, and a firearm.

If you have the luxury of a vehicle keep it stocked with some extra gear (with the luxury of a vehicle you could be ready to rebuild civilization in a forest pretty easily...) or have bins ready to throw into it quickly. But don't count on the vehicle being available during whatever may come, and be ready to walk away from the vehicle at a moment's notice.

Just my thoughts on the matter, ya'll do what works for you smile