We are talking bout a freeze dried product, correct? My MH FD items are the usual backpacking pouches, and I understand the #10 cans have the chow loose in the can. If you want individual servings, you scoop out and measure. At the end of that process, there would be little or nothing to attract vermin, even the human kind. At most a few dry dusty particles....

Blast's recycling into stoves or other items would make a lot of sense. Empty tin cans are supremely useful in all sots of ways.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much, if at all, that desperate scavengers would find MH discards in a communal trash bin, make a determination that someone in the unit must be very well prepared, and commence searching and raiding. If the situation is bad enough, they will be raiding anyway.

I do keep some MH stuff around. It is great if you will be backpacking or climbing in adequately watered places, but my stash of emergency food is based on ordinary canned foods, many of which cna be consumed right out of the can. They are essentially MREs, uncamouflaged. heated up, they are decent, basically normal, non SHTF chow. And no additional water is needed!