Chisel & Jeanette are talking about SHTF. I don't know the technical meaning of SHTF, but we should be aware that this pandemic isn't the last one in human history, and it is likely not the worst we will encounter, and it may not even be the only one of the decade.

In recent years, there were some terrible diseases, and they got under control only through intensive effort -- ebola (50% fatality), MERS (~30%?), SARS (10%), and probably others, too. When COVID started, I was taken by surprise, and I wasn't all that prepare. Perhaps it's time to think about getting ready for the next one.

For ourselves, we can gather equipment & get more medical knowledge. This will likely represent a new expense. Unlike food, you can't eat your PPE or sanitizing products when the expiration date nears. Can we do something other than throwing it all away after five or ten years? That seems like a waste.

During this pandemic, I realized there is only so much an individual can do. We rely on the whole society to stay safe. This is another thing to think about. What changes do we need to make as a society?