Originally Posted By: haertig
But these days, the biggest threat to one's life and health is not some misadventure on a trail somewhere. It is your political beliefs! This is very sad. So while we still cannot discuss politics here (and that's a good thing), what we are discussing is surviving political unrest. Identifying people who may possibly attack us for our views. Planning and discussing on how to protect ourselves from such an attack - which by it's nature, is not a pretty or a pleasant thing to discuss.

I don't think preparing for some sort of attack is out of bounds. Some of us have been preparing our whole lives when others attack us for our skin color, our sexual orientation, our religion, etc. In fact, some of us have been attacked, and can share tips for safety.

Not too long ago some big guy in a dirty T-shirt and an old van showed up at my house to tell me "we don't want your kind here." Fortunately my neighbors were all cool. When I told them the story, they offered me their guns.

Getting worried for personal safety over politics is a recent thing. If that's your life experience, then you have been luckier than others. See, you can't hide your skin color, but you can hide your politics. My first advice: don't talk politics, take down all signs, when people come by, give them the impression you're on their side, no matter what you think of them, but you're just too lazy to go out, join groups, take action, or whatever. Sometimes the way you talk and the way you dress can give you away. Change that. This may sound extreme to you, but for a long, long time many people have had to do it for safety.