Alright, taking the recommendations from you guys, I'm considering buying the following:

(1) CAT 500 amp jump starter -- this is the link to the manual. It doesn't include the "cold crank" amps, but the specs look a lot like the PowerStation jump starter that Chaos has. In fact, it seems like Costco replaced the PowerStation with the CAT, and the price looks good. Right now I don't have any sort of jump starter (just jumper cables), so this would be an improvement for my car. The jump starter can also double as a power source.

(2) Some sort of power station. I'm looking at BALDR Portable Power Station 330W or Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240, 240Wh. But I'm open to other ideas. It looks to me like items with similar specs cost the same. In this sort of situation I'd rather not reward knockoffs at the cheapest price.

(3) BigBlue 28W solar charger. This is just for the cell phone. I recognize that this is not big enough to charge the power station, and I don't have a solar panel big enough for that job. You have to leave me a purchase to looking forward to in the future...

So, if the generator and the car inverter both fail, I can use (1) & (2) to charge my cell phone and to power my laptop and possibly my wi-fi router for occasional use. If (1) & (2) run out of power, I still have (3) to charge my phone so I can still post about it on this forum.

Comments about these products welcome!

PS. For (2), There is also an argument for not throwing all my money at Amazon. I have an REI membership, and I have the impression that Goal Zero is the first company to make this kind of power stations -- Goal Zero Yeti Lithium 200X

Edited by Bingley (09/25/20 04:36 AM)