Originally Posted By: Bingley
After Hurricane Sally, I'd like to expand the number of power sources I have. As those of you who read my previous thread know, the generator failed to start, contrary to expectation.

One obvious question is have you figured out why the generator didn't start? Assuming it is a reasonable quality generator, it should be possible to locate the problem and fix it?

Like any other tool, a generator requires some routine maintenance. Some years back we pick up a virtually new Craftsman 3KW generator on Craigslist, from someone who was leaving the state. Every fall I take it out and fire it up and run a bit of gas through it. I've only really needed it once, but that time it kept our fridge and freezer, and the next door neighbor's, going until the power came back on.

If you opt for a small solar set up to keep phones and laptops charged, you might want to check out the Outdoor Gear Lab review of Best Portable Solar Panel of 2020.

Regarding routers, note that during the fires in the Pacific Northwest, one member of my clan found that line power and cell service went out, but internet via DSL continued to work. Best to keep all your options available. You never know what will work and what won't.