Originally Posted By: haertig
I wonder if they're planning on plowing under Mt. Everest too?
"It's tempting, it's dangerous - therefore no place for it in our society." I've never understood this line of thinking.
Note that the Teklanika River has not been removed. The river is still there, and people are still free to go attempt to drown themselves if they wish. The only thing that has been removed is an attractant on the far side of the river.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It should have been done years ago. Aside from being a magnet for the ill-informed and unprepared (necessitating many rescues over the years) it's essentially just litter, an ugly eyesore. Why not just start an open garbage pit or a small strip mine? I don't find junked vehicles to add anything positive to a pristine wilderness setting. There are plenty of junkyards that are located near people, no need for a junkyard in the wilderness.
I tend to agree with Phaedrus. The Alaska bush is littered with far too much junk left behind by miners. Back in the day there was no requirement for miners to clean up their trash when they ended their activities. In more recent times, there have been rules, but very lax enforcement. Nowadays, some (but not all) miners act like it is an infringement on their rights to be required to clean up after themselves on public lands.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Disposal?? Absolutely not!! That bus is now an historic artifact and should be preserved and on public display.
Actually, I am fairly serious about this. the bus is central to the "Into the Wild" event which has drawn notable attention worldwide. A proper exhibit will tell the story correctly, doubtless combined with a decent public safety message.
In terms of increased tourism volume, it will more than pay for itself - numerous contemporary examples.

You can tell this old ranger still drinks NPS Kool-Aid.....
I guess the question is, at what point does trash, junk, and litter become a historic artifact? In some places, such as Kennicott, the NPS has spent a lot of money to maintain and protect old relics of mining history. At other places, the NPS has gone to considerable lengths to try to restore areas to their pre-mining condition.

In any case, the old ranger should keep in mind that regarding the Magic Bus, the National Park Service does not have jurisdiction. The bus is, or rather was, located on State of Alaska land, just outside the Denali National Park boundary.

Edited by AKSAR (06/20/20 06:03 PM)