Originally Posted By: hikermor
Finally, I don't understand the concern with being grey in a tough situation. Short of some sort of riot/mob situation, I am going to step up and help people in worse shape than me. I have been doing this quite regularly and there is no reason to stop now.

Very broadly speaking I've seen two types of tough situations.

By far the more common kind I've seen is where being visible has helped a lot. For example, when I came across a bicyclist injured in a motor vehicle accident, after parking and scanning for scene safety I announced myself as a member of the local Emergency Response Team and started to render aid, regretting the absence of my bright yellow CERT traffic vest.

Very rare in my experience have been the, "It's time to go right now!" tough situations, like seeing the beginning of a riot or an armed kidnapping. There was nothing positive I could immediately add other than absenting myself (for the riot, the police were already there, for the kidnapping I did call the police once we got to cover).

In tough situations in the wilderness being very visible is almost always what I want. In urban and suburban areas, I'd like the option to blend in.