I suppose a lot depends on thee fuel 9wood) you have available. One of my best fires was fueled entirely by desert ironwood (Olneya tesota), a rther small bushy species. We cookeed dinner on it and went to bed.In the morning, the very sense wood was so hot that for breakfast all we did was place the coffee pot and skillet on the glowing coals and breakfast served.

I have built fires for many purposes, including warmth at night, usually in coniferous forests, occasionally under less than ideal conditions (rainy and wet). You can always in my experience, find lots of small twigs and tinder for starter fuel and dead logs up to 4 inches in diameter. The bigger stuff can be shortened by stomping or dropping a rock. Alternatively, burn them in half, or feed them gradually into the fire.

I have split larger logs for firewood, especially one summer in fire camp where we were cooking exclusively on a wood stove, but we used an axe, iron wedge or a pulaski. In the classic wood stove, you just about have to use smaller kindling.

And these days, wood fires in general are almost obsolete - essentially emergencies only. You have a lighter load if you pack a canister or alcohol stove. Still, it is a good idea to retain the ability to build a wood fire and control it. I am afraid I am pretty rusty.